[Healeys] Install BJ8 center console

George Haywood haywoodone at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 18:58:33 MDT 2012

Hi Tom,

It appears no one has answered so here goes my 2 cents worth. First put your
shifter in 2nd or 4th gear. Then check to see if you've left the attachment
screws up in the bottom of the dash bracket so you won't loose them (don't ask
me how I know that) and remove them. The arm rest has to be out before you
replace the console section so remove the two fixation screws, one on each
side of the drive shaft tunnel if not already done. Then you should be able to
place the console over the shifter with the front down and press it downwards
into the carpet and push it forward so the two "ears" move under the securing
bracket. You may have to move the shifter into neutral or 1st as you slip the
console in and forwards. Then you press on the rear of the console to seat it
down over the hump and insert the screw at the rear of the console. Make sure
to place the forward screws up into the dash bracket before you replace the
rear screw. I had to remove the cross bracket from the top of the tranny cover
to make this easier for future removals and I have never missed it's support.
It's all a pretty tight fit and secure when the arm rest goes back in.  If you
don't seem to have enough room in height to get the console under the dash
then you might not have your tranny cover in the proper place or down close
enough to the floor, push it as far forward as you can. Also there may be
something under the flange or the seal is not on straight.  Make sure the
carpet or insulation is not under the tranny cover.  Sometimes the rear seal
on the tranny cover holds the cover up also so bang it down well with your
hand. You DO NOT have to remove the shifter to do this job.

Hope this helps. Take care,

George
'65 bj8