[Healeys] 1930's Austin CVT gearbox

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 18:28:40 MDT 2012

All -

I assume the low sales of this unit were due to it's very high cost,
but nonetheless the technology behind this is very interesting.  It is
also interesting because this may very well be the very first CVT box
ever made:

http://www.austinmemories.com/page139/page139.html

I also like the elegance of the design, I have to imagine with modern
materials, this could actually be made to work quite well, although
the gearing range may be a bit limited, hard to say.  Would love to
ride in a car that has a working example.  I am a dyed in the wool
gear-head, after all.

Best,

Alan