[Healeys] BJ8 Brake booster fail locks brakes on

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed May 23 07:31:52 MDT 2012

Haven't experienced this particular Healey joy (yet), but Alan's diagnosis sounds very likely.

In addition, the large vacuum cylinder is lined with a magical 'dry lubricant.'  Along with a too large/firm/stubborn
seal, this lubricant may  be eroded enough to contribute to the problem, and should be restored.  I used one of these
products (most likely, the 28A):

http://www.sandstromproducts.com/air-dry.html

Unfortunately, this stuff is beau coup expensive, and has hazmat shipping requirements.  One can would probably do 20
boosters, and it expires after a couple years.

I don't know if there's a definitive way to tell if the lubricant should be renewed, but if the booster has over 100K
miles it may need it.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net