[Healeys] Optima batteries

Robert Duquette robertduquette at sympatico.ca
Mon May 21 07:21:11 MDT 2012

Thanks, John!

I was planning to build (or have built)  similar trays, though, out of metal,
with perhaps a bend over at the diff end to hold that end of the battery base
snuggly and using the hole where the original battery hold down rod attaches
at the bulkhead end.

I had an Optima battery in my Midget and I think they're great.

Thanks for the detail that you supplied.  What is this "P clip"?  Did it
support the positive cable?  Or the centre cable?

Robert

On 2012-05-20, at 12:28 PM, John Harper <ah at jharper.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Robert
>
> I have done the same on both of my 100s. It was Rich who gave me the idea.
>
> Fitting can be achieved without making any irreversible changes to the car.
Because the Optima battery needs to be held by it base I made a weatherproof
ply platform and painted it back. It fits to the car with two countersunk
screws that go into the holes vacated by the long hold down rods. Onto this
board are two angle clamps that fit over the battery base flanges. One is
solidly fixed whilst the other has slots to allow it to be pushed hard against
the base of the battery before tightening up. Obviously you need a long
positive lead to replace both the battery link and short switch to other
original battery link. This can be supported in the original centre 'P' clip.

> There is less space on my BN2 because of the Hypoid rear axle but there is
still enough clearance to be safe.

> The original advantages of the Optima battery are in my opinion well worth
having although perhaps more expensive than some other set ups.. That is, no
spillage or topping up and a healthy starting current even after a few months
non use.

> I have in mind using the space left by the second battery to make and fit a
wooden fixed tool box but I have yet to do this