[Healeys] Optima batteries

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Sun May 20 10:28:43 MDT 2012

Robert

I have done the same on both of my 100s. It was Rich who gave me the
idea.

Fitting can be achieved without making any irreversible changes to the
car. Because the Optima battery needs to be held by it base I made a
weatherproof ply platform and painted it back. It fits to the car with
two countersunk screws that go into the holes vacated by the long hold
down rods. Onto this board are two angle clamps that fit over the
battery base flanges. One is solidly fixed whilst the other has slots to
allow it to be pushed hard against the base of the battery before
tightening up. Obviously you need a long positive lead to replace both
the battery link and short switch to other original battery link. This
can be supported in the original centre 'P' clip.

There is less space on my BN2 because of the Hypoid rear axle but there
is still enough clearance to be safe.

The original advantages of the Optima battery are in my opinion well
worth having although perhaps more expensive than some other set ups..
That is, no spillage or topping up and a healthy starting current even
after a few months non use.

I have in mind using the space left by the second battery to make and
fit a wooden fixed tool box but I have yet to do this

Best regards

--
John Harper