[Healeys] Ehaust Gaskets

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jun 29 16:06:34 MDT 2012

I corresponded with these people a few years ago; they agreed to make a run of gaskets for Healeys if I'd send a sample. I sent them one of my gaskets and never heard back from them (even after follow-up emails).

Both types available now--one type is a silver, perforated foil with a black filler and one is thin copper sheet with a white filler--are inadequate, IMO. What has worked for me is:

1) flat file--mill, if possible--the downpipe flanges as flat and smooth as possible (if you can do the manifold flanges too that's even better)
2) apply a high-temp silicone sealant on both sides of the gaskets
3) I use regular steel nuts--instead of brass--with anti-seize on the threads and double-nut the studs
4) torque as much as you dare (if you snap a stud you'll have a lot of fun getting it out)

Part of the issue, I believe, is that the downpipes are unsupported and vibration and movement causes the joint to work loose, then the gasket blows. The 100s had a bracket to support their single downpipe, I think the 6-cyl cars could benefit from a similar arrangement.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA