[Healeys] Radiator

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Thu Jun 21 06:54:00 MDT 2012

5  members of our local club have had our radiators re-cored with hi
efficiency copper cores. We were told that there were two choices of cores.
One that included more fins per inch & one that had a more efficient tube &
fin design. We did NOT want the core with more fins per inch since a large
part of the problem with the Healey cooling system is getting enough air thru
the radiator & more fins would only make that worse. We are all happy with the
results. Do not over paint the new core. Use just a light mist coat. Despite
claims to the contrary paint does not improve heat transfer, it hurts it.
Also, using a lower % anti freeze mixture such as 25% instead of the common
practice of 50% will improve heat transfer. Water has a better coefficient of
heat transfer than anti-freeze. Do not use more anti-freeze than your climate
conditions dictate. Finally, install a thermostat that has a moving sleeve
that blanks off the bypass port in the head when the engine gets up to
operating temperature. Using a thermostat without a sleeve allows significant
amounts of coolant to bypass the radiator & simply return to the engine
un-cooled.
Gary Hodson