[Healeys] Radiator

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 03:51:19 MDT 2012

The biggest single issue is scale and rust in the block.
If you rebuild an engine without cleaning the block - and remember the
youngest 3000 block is now 45 years old - and you can't see between the bores
- and it isn't new cast iron when you look inside the welch plug holes - then
that's the problem before you start....
Never ever boiled a Healey when I started the rebuild with a redistripped
block and head. Overheated Healey engines - yeah - but only when they had
years of gunk - irrespective of the radiator. Caustic only cleans so much, and
it needs to be hot - for days, not hours.
The issue is almost always in the blocked galleries in the engine. Block and
head. If they aren't clean, you'll never solve the issue.
Sincerely.
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On 21/06/2012, at 7:02 PM, Oudesluys <coudesluijs at chello.nl> wrote:

> Get the highest cooling capacity core you can get. This enables you to
choose a sleeved thermostat that opens at a higher temperature, say 82 degrees
C, resulting in a hotter and more efficient running engine. To get the max out
of it, do away with the fixed fan and fit an electric fan instead controlled
by a thermo-switch that cuts in about 95-100 degrees and cuts out at about 5
degrees over the opening temp of the thermostat. Use a 10lbs pressure cap that
seals properly on the radiator and install a proper expansion reservoir.
> This will allow you to drive in hot weather conditions and in modern stop
and go traffic without any worries. Do allow for a higher temperature gauge
reading.
> To prevent scaling use pre-mixed coolant or coolant concentrate with
distilled (preferred) or de-mineralised water and replace every two years.
> Boiling, cleaning or rodding a radiator is generally not very effective when
scale has already been firmly taken hold. Have the core replaced instead.
> Kees Oudesluijs
> NL
>

> Op 21-6-2012 2:01, john spaur schreef:
>> I checked the archives but could not find a discussion about my particular
question. I am getting ready to have some radiator work done.

>> The shop I am dealing with has what they call a High Efficiency radiator
core that some of the Alpine car people use. It has more tubes that are
smaller and as a consequence more fins. It is a copper radiator. I am also
told that there is a staggered tube design but this particular radiator is not
the staggered tube design.

>> Does anyone have experience with the staggered tube design versus the
smaller tube design?

>> How about just the HE core design?
>>
>> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Just researching solutions on the road to finishing the restoration.
Concours is not the route I am taking.