[Healeys] VAT

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Fri Jun 15 02:52:50 MDT 2012

VAT=Value Added Tax in the UK. So if goods are exported abroad from the
UK one does not pay this. If the value of imported goods exceeds a
certain value, you are liable to pay local taxes, usually plus a
handling fee. If send by Royal Mail you often do not have to pay these
taxes as long as the indicated value is not exceeding the max. allowed.
Also when the parcels weigh less than 2kg the chance that you have to
pay taxes is minimal. There will be no delays.
However when goods are shipped using firms like FeDeX, UPS and what have
you, you nearly always end up paying a stiff handling fee plus taxes,
whatever the value of the shipped goods. The tax is calculated from the
value of the shipped goods plus the shipping costs. This procedure can
cause delays of several weeks.
The chance of having to pay taxes is also reduced somehow if you use the
surface mail service. Air mail increases the chance.
So if possible always have goods shipped using surface mail by the post
office of the country you have the goods shipped from and have it
shipped in parcels not exceeding 2kg.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

--
Kees Oudesluijs
Dorpsstraat 183
E: coudesluijs at chello.nl

Technische commissie Jensen Healey en GT
Het Jensen Genootschap Holland
www.jensenholland.nl