[Healeys] trailer hitch for my BT7

Carr&Edwards scvc70 at epix.net
Thu Jun 14 16:32:48 MDT 2012

We've had one of those motorcycle cargo trailers for 25 years now, and have
found it wonderful for traveling.  We tow it behind our MGC and MG-TD (and
it'll go with the BN1 whenever thats finished) -- since the TD of course has
no boot, it's the only safe place to store things when on the road.

Fortunately my partner runs a shop, so we just designed and made our own
hitches.  I can't remember precisely what the hitch on the C is like, but
it's very similar to the one on the TD: a "V" with a third arm in the center
of the V that extends straight forward.  The forward end of this center arm
is held to the round rear cross-member with a U-bolt; the ends of the side
arms are bent 90 degrees upward at an angle that lets them be bolted down
with the main bumper bolts (we leave the hitch on all the time.)  Since the
TD bumper has a heavy back bar, a straight-up tab welded on the center arm
is held to the bumper/back bar with the chrome center bolt.  A square
reinforcing plate welded on underneath the point of the V holds the 2
eyebolts for the safety chains.  The stock used is 1/4" x 2" steel. We
recently added a pigtail to the wiring harness so we can hook up both the
trailer lights and the TD's 3rd brake light--we're heading off soon on a
1,700-mile tour, and I want all the visibility I can get!

Photo sent to Ira separately (will also send to anyone else who wants one).

Sarah Carr
BN1 (etc.) in PA