[Healeys] Easily removable 4 seater rear seat pans?

Dave Murphy roadwarriordave at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 31 10:05:16 MDT 2012

Many Thanks to all those who responded to my question about making the
removable rear seat pans on my 4 seater Healey (BJ8) more "user friendly".
Two used rubber hoses over the bolts, and the rest seem to have removed the
BJ8 studs from the pans and used screws, with at least one using the self
tapping screws directly threading into the hole below.
I'd like to ask Earl Kagna and Bob Pense (-their messages about the rubber
hoses are below). Are (or can) the rubber tubes (be) pushed over the seat pan
studs BEFORE the "assembled" seat pan is pushed into place?; Or are the hoses
pushed FROM BELOW onto the protruding studs AFTER the seat pan has been
"installed"?
> Many years ago I solved that problem on my BJ8 by slipping a suitably sized
> piece of rubber hose onto each rear seat pan stud - so that there was just
> enough friction between the rubber covered studs and the holes in the body
> to hold the seat pan down. Don't use too large a piece of rubber - too much
> force can break the studs off, which can be a real pain to fix. The seat
> pans then simply lift out for quick access to the fuel pump, etc. A bit of
> fiddling with various size rubber hose will be needed to get it just right.
> Earl Kagna
> Victoria, B.C.
> BJ8, BT7 tri-carb
You can use some rubber tubing to just slide over the studs with a little
resistance. When you lift the pans up, the tubing drops off to retrieve
later,
or replace when convenient. At least you can get to the area in an emergency.
Bob Pense>
-Dave Murphy '66 BJ8, Dearborn MI