[Healeys] Beware Pertronix

EDWARD ANDERSON eandy01 at msn.com
Sat Jul 28 13:57:53 MDT 2012

Again I'm asking if anyone has successfully installed a Pertronix electronic
distributor in a 100-6 and how did you wire it? I bought mine from Moss over a
month ago. I wired it per the instructions and it wouldn't start. Instead of
calling Moss I called Pert. and talked to a tech/warranty guy. After talking
about it's wiring He said to send it back. My alarm went off when he asked
what kind of plug wires I was using. I didn't know but said the core mat.
looked to be a dark grey. He said the dist had problems with some core mat.
like carbon graphite. Nowhere in the product description was there any warning
about wires. While I waited from them to test and repair the dist I ordered a
set of "Cobalt" stainless steel wires from Moss. With the dist when it came
back there was the test report with "hall" checked. I had agreed to call them
when I put the dist in so they could guide me wire by wire to set up wright. I
did and the guy had me put i wire from chassis to coil pos (supposed to power
coil) black wire fm dist to white fm ignition switch and white w/blk stripe to
neg coil. There was to be only the 2 wires on the coil. He had a Healey elec
diagram and noticed the battery switch in trunk and said to keep the switch
functional I had to move the white w/blk stripe to the batt term. I said I'd
call back when I'd done that. Called and get his ans. machine. Told him I had
turned key on in ign switch and the chassis to pos coil caught fire and fried,
pls call me back. That was Wed. No call fm him. Called again Thur and Fri.
Still no call.

I'm thinking he knows (1) the dist is never going to work, (2) he probably
only helps people with their company's distributors and is overwhelmed with
calls. I'm asking you before I call Moss. Thanks Ed Anderson