[Healeys] High Octane Gas

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Jul 28 11:14:56 MDT 2012

re: "What else should I be aware off?"

IMO, you'd be wasting money (presuming the 110 sells at a premium to pump gas).  In general, you need only an octane
rating that prevents the engine from detonation ('pinging').  Unless your Healey engine is running at, oh, 10:1 dynamic
compression ratio or higher you don't need 110; i.e. if your engine doesn't ping now you won't notice much difference.
However, the non-ethanol aspect is a possible advantage.

When higher octane rating was achieved with tetra-ethyl lead it was a bad idea to run too high octane gas in a lower
compression engine, because the combustion temperatures were lower and allowed uncombusted lead buildup in the engine
and oil.   With unleaded, high-octane gas that wouldn't be a problem but, except for a bit more performance to be gained
from advancing the timing a little there's no real advantage.  Theoretically, you could run a bit leaner, but with
carburettors that's problematic.  Dwell, etc. wouldn't change.

The TV commercials that imply--wrongly--that higher octane fuel makes a car run better are fraudulent, UNLESS your
engine has an ECU, EFI, knock and other sensors and can 'tune' itself for the fuel's octane rating.  My Mustang, for
instance, runs fine on regular (87 octane) but will produce about 10 more ft-lbs of torque in the mid-range on premium
(91-octane R+M).  Note that's on a nominal 315HP/330lb-ft engine, so 10 ft-lbs ain't a lot (it does seem to run just a
tad smoother with a bit less hesitation, but that could be wishful thinking on the driver's part).

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net