[Healeys] Replacing rear suspension bushes

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 06:01:04 MDT 2012

BJ8 - right?
Did this last year
If you don't want to remove the diff housing, then you remove the tail shaft
from the diff flange. Remove all other suspension components. Undo the
handbrake and any hydraulics from the diff banjo
Undo the rear springs from the banjo - the 4 bolts either side on the banjo
base. .
So everything that connects the diff banjo to the car is undone - shocks,
springs, fixed brake line to flex, etc, and tramp rods.
Once the car is in the air, support the car, and  jack the diff banjo and
support it. So it's now off the chassis.
Now Turn the banjo up 90 degrees from the nose of the diff centre. So the
tramp rods can be removed.
Remove the tramp rods.
When they are on your bench, Use a big vice, and an appropriate sized socket,
to press out the old bush and the metal sleeve. Spray liberally with lanolin
beforehand. As the book says, installation is a reversal of this procedure....
It is fiddly, especially getting spring pads aligned for re assembly. But not
hard. Mine is hard because there are 2 inch lowering blocks, and the bolt head
going through the springs to the banjo is more than 2 inches long. On a std
BJ8 it's less than 1/2 In.
Bushes? Mine are brass at the front of the tramp rod. Nylon at the rear. Poly
is good  lube as per instructions  used to have urethane, but went harder
because a BJ8 doesn't have a panhard rod.
Your mileage may vary..
Best
Chris
Sent from my iPhone

On 28/07/2012, at 8:03 PM, Achim Spethmann <hspethmann at t-online.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of replacing the worn rubber bushes of the rear suspension with
poly ones.
> The threads and bolts are in good shape, so I wont have much pain to get out
and replace the spring bushes.
> But when I look at the radius arms, I wonder if there is enough room to get
them out of their mounting position. What steps are necessary to get them out
without too much trouble?