[Healeys] AH BJ8

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Tue Jul 24 11:09:54 MDT 2012

Derek, the battery switch (when turned ON) connects the white/black wire to
ground.  With the other end of the white/black wire connected normally to
the ignition coil, turning ON the battery switch therefore also connects the
ignition coil to ground and prevents it from building up a charge to fire
the plugs.  The car won't start.  Since turning the battery switch ON also
DISCONNECTS the battery ground terminal from the chassis, the car won't
start due to no battery power and can't be jump started because the coil is
grounded.

If you will note, the white/black wire at the coil shares a terminal with
another white/black wire that normally connects the coil to the distributor.
You can't disconnect the white/black wire at the coil for this reason.  If
you do, the coil is no longer connected to the distributor and you will have
no spark.  To take the white/black wire out of the circuit, you have to
disconnect it at the battery switch ONLY.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA