[Healeys] BN1

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Mon Jul 23 01:20:27 MDT 2012

Hi Gergo, based on your comments the BN1 is an excellent choice. For the
home restorer it is a far simpler car to restore, and I believe less
expensive to do so. I started with about half a complete car and had no
problem getting the missing parts, in fact much easier than getting some
parts for my BT7. The trim, interior and chrome plating will be less
money than a BJ8. In regard to the much maligned gearbox, use a standard
specification clutch, not "heavy duty" and keep any performance
improvements to the engine modest. The 3 speed gearbox doesn't like to
be driven brutally, but treated with respect is reliable. Certainly in
many markets a 3000 and BJ8 will return more money at the end, and all
the models have their merits and shortcomings. In my view the BN1 is a
beautiful balanced car with the 50's era charm the later cars lack, so
bit me BJ8 owners :)
Cheers
Larry
http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/