[Healeys] Starter Problem now an ignition problem!!

G. Vernau Sr. gvernau at containerhouse.com
Thu Jul 19 22:07:20 MDT 2012

This is going to sound pretty stupid but it actually happened to me. I
replaced my original starter
and solenoid with a gear reduction starter. For
the next week or so I had intermittent ignition
failure, sometimes would
start- sometimes not.  Running down the road it would just quit, I'd

open
the hood and mess with the starter wires and it would restart. I naturally
assumed it was

related to the starter replacement. One day the nickel
dropped and I also checked the wires on

the distributor and coil, turned out
the HT wire from the dizzy to the coil had a bad end where

it went into the
coil and was making sometime contact.  My messing around with the starter
wires

would move the HT wire enough that it would start again but of course
I thought it was

the wires I was jiggling that was solving the problem.
Bottom line- don't get brain lock.
George Vernau
1967 BJ8