[Healeys] Starter Problem now an ignition problem!!

Per Schoerner healeyguy at bredband.net
Thu Jul 19 16:18:10 MDT 2012

Derek
The wiring in this area is quite different on a BJ8, in that it has the
starter function incorporated in the ignition switch, and it has an
electronic rev counter. The rev counter is involved in the ignition, it
has this little white wire loop on the back of the rev counter. This is
the wire from the ignition switch to the coil. If you remove the rev
counter, for whatever reason, and not connect the white wire at the back
of it correctly the engine wont start.
The fuse box on a BJ8 is fed directly from the ignition switch, thus
only one white wire at the coil.
Your rev counter, does it happen to be a Smiths RVI type? You can see
that on the face of the rev counter. RVI 2602/00 for example.
Also, that little white with black wire, which terminal on the coil is
it connected to? The same as the points or is it the one with the white
wire?
It's quite important that you fix this quickly, because if it is as I
suspect your ignition is powered by the white with black wire. That
means that whenever you turn the battery master switch on your ignition
is on. That doesn't really matter if you always turn the power off when
you stop the engine. But if you forget that your coil might overheat.

Per