[Healeys] Nissan powered 3000 - BAT

Skip Saunders tfsbj7 at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 16 16:22:19 MDT 2012

I owned both the 240Z and a 280ZX.   I bought my first 240Z in California in
1972 when my 1963 Healey was not reliable enough to use as my daily driver,
plus I needed better weather protection than provided by the Healey.   The
240Z was my car of choice because it was the most "Healey-like" car
available at the time...it even had a very similar engine (just had more
beefy engine parts where the Healey's had proven "suspect").  The Japanese
version of the SU carbs worked very much like the Healey ones.   Although
the 240Z was more reliable, had a stronger engine, more modern suspension,
and was more weather-proof (initially).... over time it showed its weakness:
Rust.   The car body virtually rusted away before my eyes.    I bought a
280ZX in Washington DC in 1983 as an "upgrade" and it was somewhat better
than the 240Z except that it suffered from vapor lock until I had a
recall-upgrade installed to fix the known issue with the
280zx....Interestingly enough, the Healey fuel pump in the trunk, was the
major innovation that Datsun incorporated in their "fix".    However, turns
out they still used the same low quality steel.... and the 280ZX was a
rusted out hullk by 1988.   I salvaged the engine/electronics and junked the
body.... Anyone know what to do with a perfectly good 280zx engine?