[Healeys] Nissan powered 3000 - BAT

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 13 19:09:50 MDT 2012

Jonas,

Some thoughts on this conversion since I did in 1997 with a 280 Z Motor in a
'61 BT7.

1)  The carbs are actually SUs - Datsun/Nissan did not use imitations.
2)  The motor mounts are in the same location on the block as they are on the
frame. They line up.
3)  The water temperature bulb that screws into the head has exactly the same
pitch threads in the Datsun head.
4)  The trans mount is in the same place as the Healey trans mounting
location.
5)  The engine and transmission is approximately 200-250 pounds lighter then
the Healey motor.
6)  The overall dimensions of the Z motor is almost identical to the Austin
motor.
7)  Competition headers for a Z motor fit with minor modification.
8)  The Z motor revs like crazy, makes big power, lasts forever, is very
inexpensive, and is easy to work on.

My conclusion?  It was the most fun I ever had driving a "street" Healey.
Drove it to Park City, Utah in 1997 for the big Meet and smoked the V-8s on
the hill climb.

 If you think a small block Ford or a BMW is a better way to go, I hope you
have a good fabrication shop.

Richard