[Healeys] Diff oil

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jul 13 08:52:14 MDT 2012

Hi Peter,

I've had my BJ8 diff apart a couple times ... didn't see anything resembling brass in the pumpkin or the axle bearings.

The (potential) problem with some gear oils--i.e. GL-5--are the 'Extreme Pressure' ('EP') additives necessary to combat
the shear forces in a hypoid gearset.   The EP additives--usually sulfur-based--supposedly will chemically attack brass
components.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net