[Healeys] So. African Healey Replica

Brian Drab bgdrab at eastlink.ca
Thu Jul 12 16:27:28 MDT 2012

Two years ago, I was in Johannesburg South Africa and participated in the
Southern Africa Austin Healey Club National Tour. While there I was
introduced to a club member named Malcolm Duncan who operated a business
there. In his shop he had a number of vehicles he was working on. One of
these was a BJ8. He had split the car in two from front to rear and made it
6 inches wider. He had installed a BMW V8 with an automatic
transmission-that he was not happy with. He had also installed BMW
suspension wheels and steering rack.  While I agree that to the Healey lover
this amounts to sacrilege, there is no denying the outstanding engineering
and body work that has gone into the car. The body work that he had done was
outstanding. The added width made all the difference in the world. In
addition he had made several cosmetic changes - all improvements in my
opinion. Malcolm explained that he was just packing up his shop and was
moving to Calgary, Alberta, Canada. He was a manufacturer of various and
truck parts and was moving his business there. He now lives and works there.
Since then he has got the car running and in an email just the other day,
explained that the car is 60% done.
For Youtube clips go to     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKszBkXOKXE   and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nolWGUX1BM
Brian Drab