[Healeys] Dot 5 Silicone break fluid

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Fri Jul 6 14:18:29 MDT 2012

The only safe way to go about this is to thoroughly flush the lines with
brake-cleaner, followed by brake fluid DOT4, dismantle MBC's, callipers
and brake/clutch cylinders, clean them using brake cleaner and fit new
seals using clean brake fluid DOT4 or the special purpose grease. Also
renew your rubber brake hoses as they may have been affected.
You could use DOT5 instead of DOT4 with the new seals and flexible lines
if you are absolutely sure that these are made from modern materials and
compatible with DOT5. Obviously the cleaning and rebuilding should then
be done with DOT5.

When rebuilding hydraulic systems make absolutely sure that all parts,
inside and out, and your hands/gloves are scrupulously clean.
I personally would forget about DOT5, use DOT4 and replace the brake
fluid every 2 years. That way you keep an eye on the systems better.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

--
Kees Oudesluijs
Dorpsstraat 183
E: coudesluijs at chello.nl

Technische commissie Jensen Healey en GT
Het Jensen Genootschap Holland
www.jensenholland.nl