[Healeys] Winter projects, parts questions

Bert Van Brande bertvanbrande at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 22:24:03 MST 2012

Morris was the "Mo" in Moma before they split up.  I would not be surprised if they still use the same techniques and processes but I could be wrong on this.  Worth checking out and double-check if you like their work.  I didn't like the clear coat on the faces, probably a good protection but it looked over-restored to me.  Just my opinion.

The swiss gauge restorers at austin-healey.ch seem to do a great job tampon- or padprinting the faces but they don't want to sell just the faces, they only do full restoration of the gauges, I asked.  Lionel Otto company seems to be a good alternative, they sell you the faces outright.  His site mentions silk screen.  I talked to somebody on the phone and I understood they press in the circular depression after printing.  This was probably what they did in the 50's as padprinting was't invented yet.  Silkscreening is a 2d process while padprinting is used to transfer a 2d design on a 3d object.  My father was a printer/graphics teacher so I learned a bit about this.

I didn't want to lay out the Benjamins, Swiss francs or Aussie dollars for this so I carefully cleaned the gauge faces with a super soft brush and diluted simple-green.  If anybody wants to try this out, don't let the simple green solution on there too long, carefully rinse and dry with a paper towel.  The white paint of those 50+ year old numbers on the gauge are dried out and powdery.  I then protected the face with a tiny bit of carauba wax.

I rebuild the mechanisms and calibrated with a drill and a digital tachometer.  I scanned the original wheel strips and touched them up in photoshop and printed my own odo/tripmeter wheel numbers on vinyl sticker material to replace the faded and burned away numbers.  New glass and chrome et voila.  A nice winter project indeed.

Didn't I just say I was having fun?

Bert