[Healeys] BN1 seat height and the new foam

Roland Wilhelmy rwil at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 14 11:11:18 MST 2012

I am restoring the interior of our BN1.  I have the sets of foam seat
bottoms and backs (squabs) that Moss offers for the BN1.  My trimmer
is asking me whether I want them to cut  down the foam seat bottoms
about 1.5 inches, as they are accustomed to do.

The story appears to be that modern foams are stiffer, not to mention
not having the square holes in the bottom, so that a person sitting on
the seats with as-offered foam bottoms  will sit too high and may have
difficulty with clearance between steering wheel and legs.  Well, I am
5'6" tall and at least in our former BJ7 I sat a bit too low for a
good driving position, even after adding spacers to the seat bases.  I
had a smaller diameter steering wheel in the BJ7 so I can't figure out
if I need a shorter seat cushion just so I can fit underneath the
BN1's standard original steering wheel.

If anyone has had experience that would help me decide whether to
lower the seat bottoms and if so how much, I would very much
appreciate hearing from them.

-Roland