[Healeys] Radio Part Number

Jack Feldman qualitas.jack at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 18:30:41 MST 2012

Manufactures quickly discovered that it was foolish to pay import duties on
radios when there were a number of US manufacturers willing to supply them.
I have a Motorola on the shelf with the British Leyland logo on the dial
plate. Automatic Electric was another big manufacturer of radios for our
cars. Many aftermarket radios could be mounted in the place were radios
were supposed to go.

The problem is that when our cars were new, speakers were a standard 5"X7".
With the advent of higher powered radios the standard became 6"X9". 5X7
speakers are no longer manufactured. Perhaps the folks that advertise radio
repair for classic cars have a source, but I wouldn't use them with a
modern high powered radio.

You can get a smaller square speaker and make some sort of adapter that
will work as well as a 5X7.They are designed to be used with more power
than the old speakers.

Since no one has addressed vintage antennas, I will. The low cost ones are
exactly the same as I was installing in 1954. They haven't changed. I
haven't needed one for years, but the last time I bought one they were
$9.95 a Walmart.

Jack
BT7
KA9HEL