[Healeys] Fuel Pump

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Dec 30 08:38:19 MST 2012

The pump circuit is fairly simple: it's a solenoid (electromagnet, essentially) in series with a switch (the points).
The power source connects to one solenoid lead at the long brass screw, which should be otherwise isolated.  The other
solenoid lead connects to the base of the points, where the points 'blade' is attached.  The unshielded copper lead from
the points connects under the pedestal hold-down screw opposite the side with the input brass screw.  The transil should
connect between the points base and the same pedestal screw the wire from the points connect to.

When the points are closed the whole circuit will have near-zero impedance for a split second then impedance will build
as the solenoid coil gets saturated.  With the points open, there should be continuity between the input post and the
points base only (there should always be continuity from the points on the armature to ground).

There is some polarity issue with the solenoid leads, but it will operate with the leads reversed.  If your pump hasn't
previously been assaulted the small terminals fit properly only one way (sometimes, the leads are red/black, but I've
only seen black/black).

Did you get a bidirectional transil (like the kit I recommended)? If so, the orientation of the transil doesn't matter.
If not, you could have the transil connected backwards.  This would be indicated by a dead short between the input post
and the ground post with the points open.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net