[Healeys] BJ8 Speedometer Troubleshooting

Mike Garvey r3m1g4 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 28 11:45:12 MST 2012

I am troubleshooting the speedometer/odometer on my '67 BJ8.

The speedometer was erratic (odometer worked, though I am unsure if
accurately) and the speedometer was "sticky", rarely going above 40 mph and
usually indicating zero.  At some point both odo and speedo stopped working
in any sense.

The speedometer inner (spring) cable from the transmission does not turn
while the car is moving; upon removal, the inner part of the cable looks
fine: no breaks or kinks.  The end of inner cable does not turn freely when
I try to rotate it from the speedometer end, telling me that the
transmission end of the cable is "locked".

I have read the Technical  Service Bulletin (TSB) of February 29, 1968
posted on Moss Motors and the cautionary notes about the washer.  I do not
(yet) know if this washer is present.

I have read (some of) the archives going back to 2004 or so to see if there
is more detail; some found.

I suspect that I may have two problems: some issue with the right angle
drive and some issue with the speedometer head.  I am inclined to go after
the right angle drive first.

Can someone point me to guidance on gaining access to the right angle drive?
Seems I have to go after it from the cockpit after removal of the
driveshaft/transmission tunnel.

Thanks, Mike

Michael Garvey

1967 BJ8/38046