[Healeys] What's your Healey, and what Healeys have you owned?

Rafael Abugattas rafaelabugattas at yahoo.es
Fri Aug 31 18:48:23 MDT 2012

Very entertaining and interesting stories. I see that most of you guys have
owned Healeys for many years. My story is more current and less romantic. I
got the Healey bug and my first and only Healey by chance.

Ten years ago I bought an MGB and while participating on a classic car
exhibition I saw my first big Healey, a 1965 BJ8. I fell immediately in love
with the car, the style and the sound. I did my research and found that
there were only three Healeys in Lima-Peru where I live; all of them owned
by the same person.

After six months of intense negotiations, he accepted to sell me one of his
Healeys; a 1962 BN7 Tri Carb that was in horrific shape and in need of a
ground up restoration. We agreed on a price and he asked me to wait a couple
of weeks to finalize the deal. He wanted to work on the engine to show me
that it was operational.

I called him two weeks later and he told me that the engine had started but
the car was no longer available.  On the meantime he had sold it to someone
else who found out about my intentions and offered him more $$$!

Terribly angry and disappointed, I decided to look overseas for a Healey and
a few months later I bought through Ebay, sight unseen my 1962 BT7 Tricarb.
The car is complete and drivable and plan a ground up restoration hopefully
sometime in the near future.

A few years later I met the "someone else" guy who bought the BN7 and
despite of the awkward situation,  we decided we were better off being
friends specially living within such a small Healey community.

The Healey bug bitted me again and I actively participated in the BN7
complete restoration.  In the three year process and thanks to the list, I
have learned a lot about Healeys.

My friend went though a divorce and was forced to sell the BN7 to someone
who exported it to Europe.