[Healeys] Was - Transmission/overdrive - Now Sealants

john spaur jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 10 22:38:20 MDT 2012

I am just getting to the point where my gasket and sealant work will
be done :-D although I have not put fluids in the car yet.

For the most part I have used Hylomar AF; intended for surfaces with
gaskets. Rolls Royce developed it for use on aircraft engines. A
search will turn up several types. One can find Hylomar Universal
Blue, intended for machined metal to metal joints, in auto parts
stores. Hylomar AF is harder to find but is available from Moss and
possibly others.

I used it on my engine 10 years ago and due to other car problems I
only put about 1000 miles on the car before I stopped driving it and
it sat for nine years. However, if the joint to be sealed was in good
condition it worked perfect. What amazed me was when I took the
engine apart about a year ago, all of the Hylomar AF joints separated
very easily and most with the gasket intact!

Hylomar AF does not harden (I plan to test it as a lubricant in my
drain taps). Hylomar Universal blue has acetone in the formulation
and hardens somewhat by acetone evaporation. I used it on my
differential but only because it was all I had at the time.

It is expensive but you can rebuild the engine, trans, rear end and
steering box with two tubes and have some left over. A little goes a
long way and the AF will last forever in the tube.

John Spaur
San Jose, CA