[Healeys] RM Auction

editorgary at aol.com editorgary at aol.com
Thu Aug 2 13:11:34 MDT 2012

Just looked through the RM online catalog. There is going to be some seriously
great metal at that auction. I haven't actually attended the auction in the
past several years, but the downtown location and visibility of the cars out
on the harborside plaza in Monterey makes that a must see on Thursday or
Friday afternoon or early evening.
About the only question I have on that red over silver over chrome Healey 100M
(assuming it has the paperwork to prove it is a real 100M) is the estimate,
which seems a scootch high. But it will sell, and someone will drive it on one
of the big-buck tours, and then it will be pushed to the back of the garage
for a few years, and we'll see it at auction again after that. I'd guarantee
we'll never ever see this car at one of the Healey events or, perish the
thought, at a local Healey club tour.
But, it is one more Healey on the road, and as long as someone keeps building
them, parts will remain available and people will remember what the cars look
like.
As for Mr. Rocke being put off by club guys who want to prove to their friends
that they know a lot about the cars by criticizing his restoration, that just
comes with the territory. I hang out sometimes around the Jaguars, MGs, and
Mercedes and the "experts" on those marques do the same thing at auctions.
What's fun is to listen in on their conversations and see if you can catch
them in errors.
g.

Gary Anderson
Editor-in-Chief, The Star Magazine