[Healeys] RM Auction Monterey - 3 Healeys for sale

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Aug 2 12:08:36 MDT 2012

I believe to most people, "numbers matching" means that the car has its
original serialized components that were in the car when it left the
factory.  Whenever someone recreates the serial number plates to match the
certificate, then the car may appear to the uninformed to be "numbers
matching" but it may not be, really.  This might be a good marketing
approach, but it isn't really kosher, in my book.

Again, I frequently hear from people who have bought a BJ8 and submitted its
details to the registry, only to find out that all (or all but one) of the
identity plates are aftermarket recreations, not originals.  And frequently,
checking the number on the shock tower, the gearbox, or rear axle reveals
another car entirely.  These owners are usually not happy to hear that,
probably because they were told it was "numbers matching" and believed in
the classical definition of those words.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA