[Healeys] Healey value

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Aug 2 10:49:23 MDT 2012

An apropos (and sentimental) statement, and true enough, and I agree (I put about 5,000 miles a year on my BJ8).

On the realistic side, we live in a world where even a person's 'worth' is given in dollars (or other currency), notwithstanding that person's value to his/her family, community and the world at large. If Healeys weren't worth what they are--in pure dollar terms--there would not be the amazing (IMO) selection of restorers, repairers and parts manufacturers; i.e. no Moss Motors, Fourintune, Kilmartin, etc. and probably not even one, but less likely two, large and enthsiastic--and competing--marque clubs and magazines. It is the very value of Healeys that enables them to survive. At some point, there will be no interest in Healeys, no matter how 'cheap' they become, any more than there is interest in horse buggys. Since the cost of maintenance and restoration of a car--any classic car--is largely due to labor costs, if Healeys weren't valuable then we wouldn't see so many fine examples at shows and (occasionally) on the road .

On the non-capitalist side what amazes, but doesn't surprise me is how often Big Healeys show up in 'popular' culture. An astute advertiser, for instance, will use a Big Healey in a commercial or print ad when he/she wants to convey artistry and class, accentuating but not overshadowing the product message. That's why you don't see a lot of glossy Jags--too snobby--or MGBs--too pedestrian--in advertising (and yes, I look for them). No offense intended to either marque--both great in their own right--but DMH knew what he was doing when he positioned the 100 between the two.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA