[Healeys] RM Auction Monterey - 3 Healeys for sale

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Wed Aug 1 19:03:23 MDT 2012

     Thank you Curt.  Tom is a close friend of mine and I personally watched
this car being built.  I don't know how many times Tom has told me of the
"Healey people" that haunt the auction, never intending on buying anything.
They come over and criticize Tom's restoration and tell him, "You're ruining
the hobby".  Tom does know his market and it is not anyone on this list.  It's
usually a member of the more money than brains club that does the bidding.
You are right Curt, the buyer usually knows nothing about Healeys, he just
knows it is a rare car.
     As far as concours standards, not necessary for these auctions.  Tom
actually does things like chrome plate high wear areas like the plate that the
prop rod for the bonnet.  If painted, it would be scratched the first time it
was used.  Be assured though, that his mechanical restoration is more than
excellent.  His engine and transmission rebuilds are good enough that he
provides a guarantee.  Not many auction sellers do that.  It may not be
concours, but it no less a proper British car experience when driven.
Mike MacLean
56 BN2
60 AN5