[Healeys] Spitting---------more info

Williams, Allen awill at ccs.ua.edu
Mon Apr 23 10:02:14 MDT 2012

I haven't followed your troubles closely, so please excuse me if my
suggestions have been mentioned.
I had trouble several years ago with my car spitting, missing, quitting
altogether. Ultimately it turned out to be a series of bad rotors. When they
short to ground, the tracking can be difficult to see. Worth a look! Perhaps
you've already checked to see if the distributor is actually advancing as
needed. Probably worth rechecking the timing, too.
If the symptoms you are having are caused by a lean condition, you could try
pulling out the choke partially to make it run a little richer. If it runs
better, then you might suspect trash or other issues.
One thing I've done to check the possiblity of trash obstructing fuel flow is
to take off the carb's damper assembly  and shoot carb cleaner into the jet.
That will clear it it out at least temporarily. While there, check the needle
to make sure it's properly fitted, not bent or otherwise off center. Also, I'd
make sure the dampers are not sticking. Just my 2 cents on what I'd try.
Regards,
Allen W.
BJ7 (ours for the last 38 years)