[Healeys] Which electronic ignition?

RACarbone racarbon at verizon.net
Mon Apr 16 16:27:07 MDT 2012

Hi Derek,

I have been running a Crane XR700 warranty replacement ever since my original
Allison optical sensor failed about 15 years or so.  It is an engine
compartment box housing its Capacitive Discharge technology and uses an
in-distributor optical trigger.  I have also installed a 40 K coil with a set
of very good wires and commonly shift at 5K without miss.

Although this unit is not cheap and is not completely housed under the
distributor cap, I have found it extremely reliable.  Prior, I used to adjust
my HD8s a number of times during the year to get good performance from my
higher-than-normal compression.  With the Crane XR700 adjust the  carburetors
once in the past 2 years and still retained good performance.

Hope this helps,
Ray (64BJ8P1)