[Healeys] Heathkit CI-1080 exhaust gas analyzer

Alex alexmm at roadrunner.com
Sun Apr 15 17:19:41 MDT 2012

Jonas, I use an old Heathkit CI-1080 analyzer, which you can often find for
sale on eBay, although they seem to fetch an inordinately high price (more
than they're worth, IMHO).

The CI-1080 uses a temperature probe that's placed in the exhaust pipe, and
the readings are displayed on a large analog moving-coil meter that works in
a balanced Wheatstone bridge circuit. This lets you read combustion
efficiency and air-fuel ratio directly.  The analog meter is easy to watch
and interpret, as opposed to analyzers that use digital readouts.

Because SU carbs can only be "tuned" at the idle, the Heathkit works really
well for setting the mixture and checking it from time to time. I use the
instrument on my BT7 as well as an MG TC.

I used to work for Heathkit Co., and it sold kits, so I know that if you
obtain one of these it is possible that it would be poorly assembled.
However, myself and my pal Bob (who owns an MG TD and also has a CI-1080)
find them cost effective and useful. They're easy to repair, too, if you get
one that has poor soldering on its circuit board.

== Alex in Maine
     "The Blue Mainie," 1960 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
     "Conkling," 1946 M.G. TC #1321
     Former owner 1957 A-H 100-6, 1967 A-H BJ8,
     1965 MG Midget
     http://home.roadrunner.com/~alexmm