[Healeys] 100 MPH Club

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 04:34:39 MDT 2012

Oops.
My mistake. Read the wrong line.
6,200 rpm will make 150mph with a 3.54 diff, yoko A008 R tyres, and an 18%
overdrive.
I was running a 3.9:1 diff, so that is just over 135mph.
Haven't run the 3.54:1 diff yet.
For completeness, a 4.1:1 diff - everything else above equal - is about 130
mph. And ive run that set up - max rpm was half way down the straight....
Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On 11/04/2012, at 7:27 PM, Chris Dimmock <austin.healey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey John,
> At Eastern Creek raceway, with a 3.9:1 diff, and 195x60x15 tyres, I run out
of revs about 2/3rds of the way down the front straight. I have to lift off at
just over 6,000 rpm in overdrive top, and feather it  I haven't looked down at
the speedo, (tacho is on top of the dash) but by my calculations that's pretty
close to 150 mph
> Then you turn left, still at full throttle.....
>
> Denis Welch pulled around 8,500 rpm in overdrive top on Conrod straight at
Bathurst, with a 4.8 diff & FIA tyres, passing Peter Hopwood, in the 1998
Healey races. He hit the speed trap at the Chase at just over 180mph.

> Best
> Chris
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 11/04/2012, at 2:13 PM, john spaur <jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> We all know that Donald Healey was a member of the 200 MPH club.
>>
>> I am wondering how many people have exceeded 100 MPH while driving an
Austin-Healey.

>> Many years ago, while a junior or senior in high school, me and two of my
friends hit 110 MPH on a deserted stretch of freeway. It took a while to get
up to that speed and we were going up a slight incline. The front end felt
like it was riding on a marshmellow.