[Healeys] Torque spec for BJ7 rear hub nut

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 19:18:51 MDT 2012

Hi Allen,
As far as I am aware no torque is specified for the nut in question.
I too have experienced problems with oil leaking into the rear brakes and
only resolved this after taking particular care to ensure that the mating
faces of the hub and axle were completely flat and that the protrusion of
the spacer was no more than the 0.001 - 0.004 inches above a compressed
gasket as specified in the manual.
Because the paper gasket used is very thin the slightest distortion of the
mating faces will cause leakage which I believe is amplified by centrifugal
force when the hub is spinning.
I only eliminated the problems by mounting the axle shaft between centers
on a lather and making a truing cut on the face of the axle and then truing
up the face of the hub with emery paper on a glass surface after the studs
were removed.
--
Michael Salter

        Check My Blog