[Healeys] Moss brake recall

Jack Feldman qualitas.jack at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 13:21:40 MDT 2011

No need to re-engineer a product. I don't know how many drawings the
Heritage Motor Trust has, but I'll bet they have most of them, even for
small parts. That's how they re manufactured the MG body shell. But I don't
think Moss really cares about authenticity.

Way back in 1959 when I bought my Bugeye, mirrors were a dealer option. They
were one of several options I added. The dealer mounted them on the wings,
over the front axle, no doubt following BMC instructions. They also were
convex. I learned that the convex mirror showed me a great view of what was
behind me on both sides. Even better, I didn't have to turn my head away
from the road in front of me to see the mirrors as I do on a car with door
mounted mirrors.

When I got a car I would buy the convex mirrors and have them mounted over
the front axle. My BT7 came with flat mirrors so I order a pair of convex
ones, but for some reason the I didn't get the view I expected. I checked
them against my other cars and found that the convex portion was incorrect.
I called Moss got a runaround, and eventually my complaint was ignored.

Back again to my previous job as Product Manager. Every part has a drawing
with dimensions. The arc of the convex mirror was specified. Moss didn't
care if the arc was correct, just that they had a part to sell in the
catalog. In effect, they were welling an inferior product with the buyer
beware sight on it.

Since I attach a wide mirror to the existing mirror of my cars I don't need
the mirror on the right. I took a proper right hand mirror from another car
and swapped it for the left on the Healey.

There are a number of other vendors out there. We don't need to buy from
Moss. Since these other vendors are individuals rather than a company, they
care about what they sell. Even when I buy Moss parts I don't buy them from
Moss, but through LBC. Jeff cares about his customers.

Jack