[Healeys] Selling Sight Unseen

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Wed Sep 14 14:42:14 MDT 2011

Has Anyone done business with this guy?  He has contacted me to buy one of
my
cars, and is willing to buy the car without ever seeing the car in person.
He is a dealer and sells classics.
Feedback on Ebay is good, some other comments on the web not as good.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car-dealer/La+Habra-CA/Phil+Newey+
ports+Cars-1391821.xhtml

Even though there appears to be a physical location for the person offering
to buy your car, I'd still be extremely cautious. How is it likely that
someone stays in business buying from individual sellers sight unseen. Even a
good crystal ball wouldn't support that kind of policy.
On the other hand, if he's willing to do a bank transfer directly into your
account (set up a separate one just for the transaction if you go this way)
rather than a certified check, and doesn't expect you to pay the truck
driver out of your pocket or with the "excess from his check" you could
probably
chance it. Just make sure that your bank says that the money is in your
account, and they aren't going to take it back out again before you ship the
car -- on a truck that he's arranged and paid for.

In other words, this could be a version of the old cashier's check fraud,
only done with the cover of an apparently legitimate dealer.

I'd sure feel more confident dealing on a face-to-face basis with the
person, or their local representative.

G.