[Healeys] Bad running due to ethanol in gas?

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Sep 4 09:59:59 MDT 2011

Steve,

Sounds like a worthwhile experiment.  If you can prove an association between ethanol content and poor running engines
I'd be interested.  Also, if some suppliers are exceeding the 10% limit your local consumer affairs bureau should be
notified (if they haven't been laid off).

One problem is that 'poor running' is subjective.  Since you already have a 'hunch' that the fuel is causing your
problems you will likely attribute any miss, stumble, etc. to the fuel.  The only way to get an objective reading that I
can think of is to put your car on a dynamometer and try the different fuels.  You can also track mileage closely, but
that is an indirect indicator at best.

I've given one data set but, again, it's subjective (except for the mileage figures for the BJ8, which we've tracked for
over 16 years of extended trips).  I've noticed a slight problem that could be mild vapor lock if I drive on a warm day,
shut the engine down for a half-hour or so then restart.   Seems to be a recent (last few years) phenomenon, and doesn't
happen after a briefer (up to 15min.) shutdown.

Also, I assume you have a modern, computer-controlled EFI auto as a backup for your Healey.  Have you tried the same
fuel in your BJ9?  Modern cars are designed to accommodate a variety of fuels--my Mustang will run on 87-octane but
prefers premium (or better)--but a problem with combustion might be detected and logged by the ECM.

My 'hunch' would be that--if you're buying your fuel from the same station--there could be contamination (e.g. water) in
the fuel or the fuel is 'stale.'

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net