[Healeys] BN2 overdrive driving me nuts

Roland Wilhelmy rwil at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 3 22:34:35 MDT 2011

Jose,
I went looking for 'the test with a lamp as described on the manual'.
I cannot find it.  Were you using the instructions for the BN1
overdrive
electrics?  They are very different.

In the manual on page D/4 of the BN2
Supplement
it takes you through six tests that use no tools except for a
jumper
wire (lead). There is also a helpful circuit diagram of the overdrive
system.

Test the Solenoid by powering it directly from fuse
supply
terminal A3.  You should hear the solenoid operate.  Test the
Gear switch by
engaging top gear, depress the throttle pedal and
momentarily connect relay
terminal C2 to fuse supply terminal A3.
You should hear the solenoid operate.
Test the Relay Coil by
momentarily connecting relay terminal W1 to terminal
A3.
The relay should be heard to operate.  Test the toggle switch by
operating it.  You should hear the relay.  Test the Relay Contacts
with top
gear engaged, toggle switch closed and throttle switch
open, the solenoid
should be heard to operate.  If no sound is
heard the relay is defective.
Test the throttle switch by
engaging top gear and close toggle switch.
Slowly depress
accelerator.  The solenoid should be energized from zero
one-quarter throttle.  If the solenoid is heard to release
under one-
quarter throttle the throttle switch is 'defective'
(maybe just needs
adjustment).

Hope this helps.

-Roland