[Healeys] shim value springs?

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Oct 28 07:04:07 MDT 2011

John,

I believe the test is to compress the spring to a specific pressure value, then measure the height of the spring.  If
it's not 'tall' enough compressed then shims are needed.  There is a special rig to do this--which looks kinda like an
arbor press with a pressure gauge--or may be done other ways:

http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/comp-cams-how-valve-spring-tech-2047.htm

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTips/valve_spring_inserts.htm

You can only use so much shim before the springs will bind.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net