[Healeys] tappets - the pits :-(

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 07:11:00 MDT 2011

I just reread your email John

You mean valve rocker faces. The valve rocker end that rides on the
valve top?
If so, sorry.
It looks like I grabbed the wrong end of the valve train. In that
case, the only relevant bit is
"Steel quality today, and hardening techiques, are far better &
cheaper than they were 50 years ago"
So I'd buy new ones. Don't look at me though. Mine are alloy arms,
roller tipped, in steel posts, and run hardened lash caps on the
valves. Total lift with cam and offset rockers (1.65) give over .500
lift at the valves.
My advice? Steel quality today, and hardening techiques, are far
better & cheaper than they were 50 years ago
Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone