[Healeys] tappets - the pits :-(

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 05:13:41 MDT 2011

Hey John,
The area between the tappet and camshaft, and the oil pump drive
spindle gear and the driving gear on a Healey cam, are the least
lubricated, and therefore highest wearing, areas of a C Series engine
- easpecially in a car that is revved. Like an Austin Healey. The wear
doesn't show as quickly on a Wolsley 6/110 - or a car where 4,000 rpm
is the exception, not the norm.
They are also the least lubricated areas on a BMC A series engine. And
a BMC B series engine. When they are revved. Like a Spridget or an MGB.
I'd call that a fundamental design fault.
That's another discussion.....
But today, I'd look at your oil, and run in procedure.
The design for getting lubrication to these major components is
practically non existant. It's either "drip and hope" or "splash and
hope"
At 1,000 miles, the wear you are describing is a lubrication issue.
Not enough lube of the correct type at startup most likely.
That's my answer. The cause was Insufficent lubrication, of the
correct type, following a corrct process, at initial startup. 2nd best
guess? Incorrect hardening 10 years ago.
These days, I'd never reface a cam follower. Steel quality today, and
hardening techiques, are far better & cheaper than they were 50 years
ago. New followers, hardened with current processes.
I use Dennis Welch followers. No financial interest. These days,
Jeremy Welch won't sell you a billet cam without the cam followers and
appropriate lube. Dennis told me it dramatically reduced warranty cost.
Me? I'd replace them, and get some serious reassemly lube.
Best
Chris
www.myaustinhealey.com
Sent from my iPhone