[Healeys] Mirrors

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Oct 20 16:33:25 MDT 2011

The wing mirrors on my BJ8 are centered over the chrome spears.  The mirrors out there on the wings was actually one of the things that attracted me to the car in the first place because they looked so quaint and "oh, so British".  They are that, but they are a real pain to adjust.  To avoid excessive trial and error to adjust, it's necessary to have two people -- one to sit in the driver's seat and another to do the adjusting.  And if anyone walks by the car after adjustment....they are no longer adjusted!  But I like them just fine where they are.
The presence and location of the wing/door mirrors is one of the external features of a car that I record in the BJ8 registry as an aid to identifying a car when neither the VIN plate nor the license plate number is visible.

On another subject:  on our way to Southeastern Healey Classic at Lake Guntersville, Alabama today, as we were entering Atlanta in the I-20 traffic, I suddenly felt the car lose power and sound "mushy".  Realizing I was running out of gas, I just reached under the dash and flipped on the backup fuel pump and away we went again.  It sure is nice to have that option.  The main SU pump is approaching 10 years old and I have never had the cap off, so it may be time to clean the points.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC