[Healeys] 100S modifications (was Distributor cap orientation-details)

Patrick and Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Mon Oct 17 14:41:20 MDT 2011

G'day

As far as it is known there were no aftermarket cross-flow cylinder heads
for the 100 engine.

However there were a number of oddities. The Hunter DOHC cylinder head was a
crossflow design, but in the end there were problems keeping it all
together.

The standard 100S head was not crossflow, but there were a few made that
were (to a degree). They were cast up to allow the fitting of four SU H6
carburettors with two on either side of the cylinder head. The exhaust pipe
continued to run down the driver's side (RHD car). So it was cross flow.

Then towards the end of Austin-Healey production Geoff Healey was advocating
the reuse of the four-cylinder engine in 2.5 litre form with a cross-flow
cylinder head. (It was still in production in diesel form for the London
style taxi) In that form it was lighter and delivered a better power to
weight ratio than the standard BJ8. GCH was a staunch four-cylinder
supporter, however the powers that be within Leyland were hell bent on the
Austin-Healey badged MGC, which Donald would not agree with.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia