[Healeys] Distributor cap orientation

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 17:51:54 MDT 2011

Bill--

I'd guess that your distributor body is installed 180 degrees out.

Take off the distributor cap and valve cover and pull #1 plug.  Rotate the
engine so that #1 piston is at the top of its travel with both valves closed
which gives you top dead center.  The rotor should be pointing roughly
toward #1 cylinder but it sounds like your rotor will be pointing toward the
passenger wheel well.  If so loosen the distributor clamp, pull out the
distributor and reengage the drive with the rotor in the correct position,
then after you get the plug wires in their proper positions and firing order
retime the car.

Best--Michael Oritt