[Healeys] Fuel Mixture

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 07:16:51 MDT 2011

Hey Keith,
That's the right plug for a standard engine, according to this  http://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/champion-un12y.html
Is your engine standard?
However, it doesn't sound right to me.
Back in my Sprite days, we ran Champion N9Y in a road car, and N7Y in
a modified road car.
I'm pretty sure a higher number is colder in NGK.
My BJ8 runs NGK racing B8EGV on the road, as I said earlier, and
B85EGV on a full throttle circuit.
Ie yours are 5, mine are 8.
You are running a very hot plug. If it has soot, then either it's
running is too rich; you have some crap fuel; or the engine is no
where near operating temperature.
Give it a run on a freeway and then do a plug cut. ie check the plug
colour  when you switch off after several minutes at over 4,000 rpm.
I certainly wouldn't drive a car hard (over 5,000 rpm)  for any
sustained period of time (more than a few minutes) on a plug that hot.
Best
Chris
Sent from my iPhone